Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mod Podge, Decoupage, Whatever You Please

We have had this end table since the day we moved in. It's not very stable, the fake wood veneers were starting to get scratched and bubbly, yet the cheap dutch girl in me refused to let it go. After having this thing for almost 2 years I decided to take action. Why not try something fun with it? If it turned out to be a complete disaster then I would only be losing an ugly end table. I have seen different applications of "Mod Podge" or "Decoupage" or whatever you want to call it. After much contemplation this table pressented itself as the perfect opportunity to try my hand at this.

First I spray painted it white.

In the words of some old friends, "it was just ok"


TaDa! A whole new end table. It's got a couple coats on it so Ben can still set his lunch on it while he sits in the recliner playing video games during lunch (I know, its just what he does :)


Looking at it, it's kind of retro.....I love it.



Much better!

I feel like it has added a much needed pop of color in our living room. I have been looking around the living room lately and I have been putting off doing more decorating because I wasn't exactly sure what my style was. Now I'm discovering I really like dark and neutral furniture but I am desiring more color. I'm thinking new curtains for starters. Anyway, things I would do differently with this table? I would sew the pieces of fabric together for a cleaner look in the transition area between the fabrics. I would also pay much closer attention to the edges and making sure they were amply glued down. All in all I am very pleased with the result of my first attempt at Mod Podge and hope to find another project to utilize this on soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment