Monday, August 15, 2011

The Chicken Saga....

....continues! Well these chickens have been quite an interesting venture in my life. We've had them for a while and I've been patiently awaiting the arrival of eggs. After all my toiling and sweating to keep them feed and their coup clean I think I deserve some fresh eggs. Yeah about that, I think my chances have decreased. One of our "hens" is an impostor! It's a rooster if i've ever seen one. Big and noisy. He cockodoodledoos all day long. It's not loud enough to bother us in the house but he can be heard. Here's a picture of him with his ladies. He's the big black one. I must admit he is pretty. His tail feathers have an iridescent quality that show hints of purple, blue, and green.


My first eggs. All within two days. They are on the small side but that's because my hens are young. Since they are white I assume they came from our leghorns. No brown ones yet.

Sadly this afternoon I have come to the conclusion I won't be having a plethora of eggs in the immediate future. This part of the saga once again invokes Dezi our little killer. I was getting ready for work this morning and heard our rooster which is typical but he wasn't acting as usual. Typically it's a cookoodoodledoo here and a cockoodoodledoo there but this morning it was NON-STOP. Whatever I thought, he's crazy. I come home after Monday lunch and go outside to do a few things. I hear Dezi growling from behind the spa at Tiller. Typical but I checked out it. Yup, you guessed it, a dead white chicken. There's a skin gap at the roof of our coup that will now be closed off, just not in time for this one. So I have one white chicken that's good for some eggs hopefully otherwise these brown ones need to get their act together. Oh, and the rooster is ticked that's why he's so loud today. I can hear him right now. Believe me when I say there's never a dull moment around here :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry, but this made me laugh. My dad once decided he wanted some egg-laying hens. So for his birthday, my sister bought him a dozen chicks. Before long, we had 12 cockadoodledoos going -- yep, 12 white roosters. Let's just say they were free-range -- meaning, they flew the coup and never went back in. And they were mean. They loved to roost on the brick ledge beneath the big bay window in the front of our house. My mom was a piano teacher and had many students come to the house every week. We had a stash of hoes and rakes by every door - you didn't dare go outside without being armed. When the piano students came, us kids had to grab a hoe or rake and go out to protect the piano students from the rooster attacks as they ran from their car to the front door. Wasn't long before we learned how to whack their heads off and pluck 'em. Ah, life on the farm -- them's good memories!

    ReplyDelete