Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Homemade adventures

Since getting married I have found a growing love for cooking. I never have really cooked much until now because I didn't really find it necessary to try new and big things for just myself. Now that I have time and someone else to cook for I find a lot of enjoyment in cooking. I do like baking too but then you have to eat what you bake and baking usually equals something not very healthy for you. So I have ventured into the world of making things from scratch. The internet has been the most helpful tool as I can find information on about anything from ways to use up my plethora of veggies to which items you can make cheaper homemade than store bought. It has been a fun adventure with only a couple mishaps and Ben is happy to be my test dummy. Two of the things I decided to try are english muffins and yogurt. I read a website that described how homemade yogurt is much cheaper and tastes better than store bought. I gave it a whirl and found all this to be true. The english muffins were trickier but I think I like them better also. I think I need to eat a few more to really decide though.


One of the stages of making yogurt. I followed. I found this recipe to be easy and delicious.

http://www.makeyourownyogurt.com/




Homemade english muffins on my makeshift rack for cooling them. The jury is still out on these.

4 comments:

  1. Homemade yogurt?! I am impressed. I might have to try that for the frozen yogurt I have been making.
    Cute blog - keep writing!
    http://www.tonifrantz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see a step-by-step tutorial of you making the yogurt! One of my homemade baby-food books talks about it and encourages feeding it to babies, but since there were no pictures I was leery of trying it... sounds like fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. I must try that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops...that last comment was from me, not John. sorry.

    ReplyDelete