Sunday, July 19, 2009

Lawn Mowers and Super Soakers

Yesterday I decided that I was going to try to mow the lawn. Things are really kicking into high gear for Ben and it's been so HOT that I thought I'd get it done for him. I thought it would be no big deal because I used to mow at home all the time. We had a riding lawn mower though and I had no idea what I was in for. The lawn mower we have is a push mower that is self propelled. Don't let that deceive you though, she is a beast hidden in a lamb's clothing. I waited for the lawn to dry up and then proceeded to try to start it, no such luck so I waited for Ben to come home for lunch. He started it after lunch for me and by that time it was hot but I've never been one that's afraid to sweat. So I commenced and about 5 feet into it got stuck and so it began. Our lawn isn't exactly level yet and Ben was so kind as to lower the blades. This means that it stuck a lot so I would give it more gas and wiggle it to get it going only to have it take off and have me running to keep up. By the end of this battle I was pouring sweat and covered in dirt and grass laughing at the fact that our lawn mower had worked me over so bad! Ben of course laughed a lot too when he got home and heard my saga. We decided to cool off so we went and got Sonic and then headed over to Mom & Dad F's house to swim. There Ben showed me part of his super soaker collection which is quite extensive thanks to aunt Debbie. Mom and Dad F took us out for Chinese and Dewars after. What an afternoon!

My worthy adversary




alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5360174342764358642" />

3 comments:

  1. haha! One afternoon I decided I wanted to mow the lawn for Peter. He was working on installing flooring and the front grass needed to be mowed. No problem, I thought. I have seen him do it a hundred times. Well I was WRONG. We have a front thrower like you guys (which peter claims is the best) and it had a mind of its own! Seriously, i could hardly control it. I kept making all these divets in the grass and I almost let it go into the side of our truck. I put forth a worthy effort, but our lawn pretty much looked like crap when I was done. Oh well, I scored major points for trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, Kelly! Every woman who has mowed the lawn in this Bakersfield heat can relate! Your story made me think about Mama Gail mowing the lawn once when they were first married -- I seem to remember that she got so mad at the mower that she slugged Royce -- or something like that :)

    ReplyDelete